Tuesday 27 August 2013

Miley Cyrus' VMAs performance & the double standard.

Tuesday 27 August 2013
Before I start I would just like to say this isn't something I would usually write about but I guess I can link this into fashion so here goes.

The chances are that you have already seen or heard about Miley Cyrus' VMA's performance, if you have been living under a rock since Sunday night here's a link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrPGxRsaQvY

I think I was one of the last people to see her performance, I only watched it because my twitter timeline was full of 'Miley's changed' 'Miley's a slut' 'that performance was vile.' I would just like to say hello reality check we are in the 21st century women are aloud to do as they please. They can act/sing/dance to anything. However I do think she could have toned it down with the hand gestures they weren't really necessary.

Miley was doing this to get rid of her Disney 'good girl image.' She has been cursed with the Disney bug as many would say, her whole life has been in the eye of the media and that's pretty tough on anybody let alone one of the biggest child stars in the world. What I don't quite understand is why people are saying 'she turned into Amanda Byres' she hasn't, Amanda is mentally ill while Miley does one performance in very little clothes. At the end of the day it's her body and I'm sure she can do what she wants with it. She isn't the first female celebrity to wear very little Rihanna and Lady Gaga have also done it on numerous occasion... but do I see everybody slating them? No. The reason why they get away with it is because it's the way they've always been they haven't 'changed' but maybe if they had been in the public eye since they could walk then people might think differently.

As I previously stated Miley's been in media for a very long time and it would be strange and unheard of it she didn't change. I think that people forget that of course she is going to change from 'Hannah Montana' she was 13/14 at the time that was 6 years ago when she was still a child, now at 20 she is an adult who is capable of making her own life choices. Everyone makes life choices and they don't always go down well but these things happen and people change. Its the same for Demi/Selena they're nothing like they used to be as Disney stars.

In case people have forgotten Robin Thicke was also on stage but somehow people seem to have forgotten that. Has there been any comments about the 'sexual' things he did on stage? No, because he's a man and it's alright to do things like that. Also the fact that he is a married man at 36 years of age dancing with a 20 year old. Robin Thicke's song has a nice tune to it... however the lyrics not so nice. Talking about how girls want to get raped, I thought we would have moved past girls dressing in short skirts and dresses means they want to get raped no they certainly don't they want some attention, who doesn't? It certainly isn't the same as wanting to get raped. Yet here we are talking about the double standards people and the media have for men and women just because women shouldn't flaunt anything remotely 'sexual' doesn't mean that it's wrong if they do.

This performance should have gone down as just a normal one but because Miley's a women and they have to act classy at all times it hasn't.

I am extremely sorry for how long this is, hopefully you'll understand where I'm coming from feel free to criticise or support my views. I promise my next post won't be as heavy on content as this.

Until next time
Naomi xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment

Naomi Doddridge © 2014