Thursday 11 September 2014

The University Post

Thursday 11 September 2014

The question I seemed to have been asked over 100 times this summer.... Are you going to University?

University is such a hot topic right now and currently that is what everybody seems to be asking me. Had I stayed on at sixth form I would be on my way to University right now (well I hope so anyway.) Considering I am a year behind the majority of my friends, due to dropping out of sixth form and going down a less conventional route.

Had you asked me two years ago, I would have definitely not said what I am doing now. I think college has given me more of an insight into what University will be like. Compared to sixth form, college has a very laid back style of learning, that sets you up for what university. I understand that that kind of atmosphere isn't for everyone, if you're the type of person that needs a teacher telling you every 5 seconds what you need to do maybe college isn't for you and therefore consequentially maybe university won't be for you either.

Ever since I was 14 years old I have known what I've wanted to study at University. Since I started my film studies GCSE, I remember thinking you know what I'm really enjoying this writing thing... is this an actual thing? Apparently my 14 year old mind didn't realise that you could get paid to research, report and write; amazing. I think in the past 4 almost 5 years I have looked up nearly every single University journalism course in the country. I think also in that time I have wanted to do every single area of journalism, I've gone from wanting to do broadcast, radio, sport and fashion. For the past year though I have been set on doing one thing, multimedia journalism. This course gives me the best of all the worlds by giving me an insight into all of them fields.

What do I do if I don't get into University?
I have thought about this so many times because lets be realistic not everyone gets into University. If I was to say hand on heart there is only one University I want to go to but say I didn't get in my top three then I would have to take a look at what I was doing wrong. I think I would most probably reapply for the following year and get a full time job in either make up or retail, with work experience for journalism on the side. However maybe in a years time my circumstances will be completely different, although I highly doubt it.

I think that University is the right path for me to go, however that doesn't mean its the right path for everyone. A lot of people do so much better going for apprenticeships or even straight into full time work. One piece of advice though don't be pressured into going to University by your family, college or sixth form... do what feels right to you!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Naomi Doddridge © 2014